Monday, 25 November 2013

What is Genre?


What is genre?

In music, the genre of a song is what category it falls into. The category is identified with the use of conventions, e.g. a rock song would be identified by the use of an electric guitar, drums, bass guitar and  the use of distortion. There are many genres of music and most of these genres contain sub-genres (a sub category), e.g. heavy metal has many sub-genres such as black metal, thrash metal and alternative metal.

When choosing a song to shoot a video for, genre is a very important thing to think about. This is because many music videos normally contain conventions of a genre. Therefore, when i know what genre I will be doing I will know what sort of things to include in my video. I will most probably do a song in the genre of Alternative Metal.




Here is a diagram showing a few of the most popular music genres as well as some of their most popular sub-genres.


No comments:

Post a Comment